The newest love of your life has got engaged to a frightful cheese-obsessed bore from the Home Counties.
Your butler could seperate them in a jiffy, but he’s busy running errands for your Great-Aunt to clear his shameful gambling debts.
She could forgive the debts, but she wants the money to buy the famous artist’s new masterpiece.
And the artist would be happy to just hand the painting over, so long as you help her cover up that her best works are plagiarised.
How will this all shake out? Find out in play!
What Ho World! is a light role-playing game of hijinks and shenanigans set in the breezy upper classes of the roaring 20s. With the improvised storytelling of a roleplaying game and the pick-up-and-play nature of a card game, you can jump right into things and tell a great story together over the space of a few hours.
The deck includes 5 characters: the flighty Gadabout, the dependable Servant, the conniving Aged Relative, the imperious Pillar of Society, and the eccentric Highbrow. Players each pick a character and customise them by choosing ability cards, relationships with the other characters, and cosmetic details (name, appearance, personality etc). Then the group drafts Goals and Assets for each character – these are the objectives they’re trying to achieve, and the resources they have to try to do that.
Play then starts, with each player taking a turn to play through a short scene of their character working towards their goal while the other characters help, interfere, or push their own agendas. Within scenes, characters can activate special abilities to do things like revealing an incredibly expensive possession, providing another character with a refreshing cocktail, or fixing someone with an imperious gaze that forces them to reveal their secrets. These are all paid for with a limited pool of tokens, meaning players must carefully plan when they use their abilities to guide the story in their preferred direction.
As characters make progress on their goals they accumulate special tokens they can cash in for an all-or-nothing attempt to complete the goal. Once someone has completed all their goals, the game wraps up with an epilogue showing how things worked out for each character.
How to get the game
The deck contains 90 cards:
- 5 character decks of 9 cards, each with 5 different abilities to choose from and 2 relationships to other characters;
- 30 Goals for your characters to aim at and Assets to help them get there;
- 10 locations to visit with story prompts;
- 5 rules reference cards.
Setting up the Game
Playing the Game
Related Blog Posts
- What Ho, World! – now on Tabletop Simulator
- What Ho World deck printing update
- What Ho World: Playtest Report
- What Ho World Design Diary 6: Art!
- What Ho World Design Diary 5: Trying Twine
- What Ho World Design Diary 4: Ready for Playtesting!
- What Ho, World! Design Diary 3: Simple Setup and the Virtues of Cards
- What Ho, World! Design Diary 2: Stats and Moves
- What Ho World Design Diary 1: The Basics